A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice RF Nariman has taken suo motu cognizance of the matter. The court has issued notice to the Center and the Uttar Pradesh government.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has taken a tough stand on the decision of the UP government to allow Kanwar Yatra amid the COVID-19 crisis. A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice RF Nariman has taken suo motu cognizance of the matter. The court has issued notice to the Center and the Uttar Pradesh government. The court has asked why the Kanwar Yatra in the midst of the Kovid crisis? The matter will come up for hearing on July 16. The court has also asked the Uttarakhand government to file a reply. Justice Nariman told SG Tushar Mehta that we read something disturbing today in the Indian Express that the state of UP has chosen to continue with the Kanwar Yatra, while the state of Uttarakhand has said with its own experience that there will be no yatra. We want to know what is the stand of the respective governments. The citizens of India are completely shocked. They do not know what is happening and when the Prime Minister was asked about the third wave of Kovid in the country, he said that we cannot compromise even a little. We are issuing notices to the Centre, the state of UP and the state of Uttarakhand, as the Yatra is scheduled to leave from July 25, we want them to file their replies at the earliest so that the matter can be heard on Friday.
Uttarakhand government is also in dilemma due to Yogi’s decision
Let us tell you that the Uttarakhand government has decided to reconsider its decision not to conduct the Kanwar Yatra. Right now the country has not even recovered from the second wave of Corona, but Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has increased the dilemma of the Uttarakhand government by announcing to start the Kanwar Yatra from July 25. Yogi Adityanath himself has spoken to the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand on this subject. Yogi has called about this, after that the Uttarakhand government will reconsider its decision. Actually, CM Yogi Adityanath has announced that from July 25, Kanwar Yatra will be taken out in UP, which was canceled last year due to Corona. It is worth noting that after facing criticism regarding Kumbh, the Uttarakhand government had decided that it would not conduct the Kanwar Yatra this time, but it seems that there is a preparation to change this decision. Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami said that Kanwar Yatra is a matter of many states, we will take a decision after talking to these states.
There was criticism regarding Haridwar Kumbh for the second wave of Corona
Three days ago, the DGP of Uttarakhand had said that the Kanwar Yatra would not be conducted due to the corona epidemic. During the Kumbh held in Haridwar in the month of March-April, there was an increase in the number of corona cases in Uttarakhand and the country. Many sadhus and hundreds of people had to lose their lives during this period. It was made mandatory for those coming to Kumbh to bring Kovid negative RPCR report, later investigation revealed that thousands of reports are fake. When the Union Health Ministry was asked whether the central government would stop the Uttarakhand and UP government from conducting the Kanwar Yatra, he said that the way the Prime Minister had already said that ‘Jaan bhi jahan bhi’, then how to proceed while balancing it. To grow, will have to see about this. Whatever work is to be done, it should be done by making Kovid safe.